Archives : when to book a barge cruise
This is one of the most important questions about barge cruising. Oftentimes, people think they have plenty of time only to discover that their preferred dates and barges are already booked. This is especially true of September which is the most popular month for barging because of the mild weather, fewer young families and students traveling, and wine harvests in full swing. It is typical for the popular charter barges to be booked over a year in advance. Also, barge cruise vacations are very popular with baby boomers and retirees who love to travel and have the means. They plan ahead to experience everything they can on their bucket list.
Here is what I suggest for getting the best selection of barges and schedules, especially if you want to charter the entire barge. Cabin bookings are a bit more flexible.
- If possible, put it on your radar one and a half years before you want to go. Check in with your favorite barge cruise specialist (like me!) to see if prices, itineraries and availabilities have been announced for the time you want to travel.
- Oftentimes, you can book at the current year’s prices for the following year if you book in spring or early summer of the year before. It’s a win-win. You get current prices and have a good selection of barges and times available.
- Booking one or two cabins on a hotel barge with other passengers on board is a bit more flexible, especially if your schedule is flexible.
- Again, if you want to cruise in September, it is important to think ahead and book as early as possible, ideally 9-12 months prior to departure.
- As with charter bookings, it is very typical to book at this year’s prices for next year if you book in the spring or early summer of the year before traveling.
To review, as soon as you know you would like to go on a barge cruise, contact your barge cruise specialist to talk about your plans and help you select and book the right barge cruise for you.
It’s worth planning ahead to experience the “vacation of a lifetime” as many of our clients say when they return.
Whenever you’re ready to go barging, we’re ready to help. Happy travels,
Barge Cruise Specialist since 1988