MAGNOLIA, a 6-passenger charming class charter barge, cruises in Southern Burgundy, France
MAGNOLIA Cruise Stops
MAGNOLIA is an exciting new addition to our fleet operated by experienced French owners Magali and Nicolas Rancelot. Speaking fluent English, they offer an authentic French experience highlighting the best of Burgundy along with their local knowledge of the region. They have beautifully remodeled their boat with tasteful contemporary decor and boast the largest cabins available in the charming class category. Relax in the large and comfortable salon or lounge on the 2 decks as you enjoy the beauty of the peaceful Burgundy canal. Guests can choose between the half board cruise, where 3 dinners and 1 lunch are taken ashore at their own expense, or full board with all meals included.
This is the perfect cruise for friends and family to enjoy the experience of barging at a very reasonable price.
- Authentic French dinner at the home of Magali's parents
- Visit to the medieval chateau of Clos de Vougeot in the renowned Cote D'Or wine region
- Enjoy a delightful wine tasting at a local family owned cellar in Vosne-Romanée
- Visit a truffle farm to learn all about truffle hunting with trained dogs
- Stroll around Dijon's medieval quarter, the Ducal Palace and the famous Dijon mustard shop
- Visit Beaune, the wine center of Burgundy, and tour the historic Hospice de Beaune built in 1443
- Stroll through the beautiful hilltop village of Chateauneuf-en-Auxois and visit the castle
- Unique lunch on deck "a la plancha" with products selected at the Dijon market with Magnolia's chef
- Ample time to walk or bike the towpaths along the canal
Owner Operated: Yes - Magali and Nicolas Rancelot with their friendly barge dog, Gypsy, who is not allowed in the passenger area.
Number of Passengers: 6
Category: Charming Class
Cabin Bookings: No
Charter Bookings: Yes
Cruising Region: Canal du Bourgogne, Southern Burgundy, France
Length of Cruise: 6 nights - Saturday to Friday
Cruising Season: April - October
Theme Cruises: Family, Custom
Meeting Location: Dijon train station
Cruise Rates 2017 - Charter Only
Saturday to Friday (6 nights)
All Season Departures
|1/2 Board Charter Rates - All meals except 4 meals on shore at guests’ expense
|Full Board Charter Rates - All meals included|
Included in Cruise Price
- Transportation between train station in Dijon and the barge
- Six nights accommodation in private cabin with ensuite bath
- All meals on full board cruise; all meals on half board cruise except 3 dinners and 1 lunch on shore at guests' expense
- Open bar
- Guided tours with entrance fees. Excursions are by air-conditioned vehicle
- All barge amenities including bicycles, music system, library, etc.
Not Included in Cruise Price
- Air or other transportation to the meeting location
- Trip cancellation or medical insurance (available when booking)
- Personal expenses
- On half board cruise, 3 dinners and 1 lunch on shore at guests' expense
- A discretionary gratuity for the crew suggested at 5% or more of the cruise price
Category: Charming Class
Crew: 4 - Captain Nicolas, Tour Guide Magali, chef and hostess along with Gypsy, the friendly barge dog who is not allowed in the passenger area
Barge Size: 131 ft long
Cabin Size: 2 cabins at 136 sq. ft. and 1 cabin at 158 sq. ft.
Accommodations: Cabins 1 and 2 with double beds. Bow cabin with queen or twin beds.
Heat & Air: Central heat and air conditioning
Cruising on MAGNOLIA in Burgundy
Burgundy Canal, Southern Burgundy
Dijon to Escommes (or reverse)
Saturday - Transfer from Dijon to Barge
Guest are met at the Dijon train station at 3:00 PM and chauffeured to the barge moored in Dijon. Enjoy a welcome drink aboard and time to meet the crew and captain. Then settle in for a short cocktail cruise to Plombières. Dinner on the barge.
Sunday - Plombières to Fleurey-sur-Ouche
After breakfast, we cruise to Fleurey-sur-Ouche, with plenty of opportunity to cycle and walk along the towpath exploring small villages along the route or just sitting on the deck and watching the world glide by. The Ouche Valley is known for its dense deciduous forest, wild boar, deer and birds of prey. Following brunch on board, we visit Clos de Vougeot, built in the 12th century by the monks of Citeaux, before enjoying a wine tasting at Domaine Rion in Vosne Romanée. For half board, dinner at "Le Petit Repère du Goût" in Fleurey at guests' expense. For full board guests, dinner is on board.
Monday - Fleurey-sur-Ouche to Lock 34
This morning, we cruise along the canal to our mooring at Lock 34, where we have lunch on board. In the afternoon, we visit a truffle farm at l'Or des Valois" to experience a truffle hunt with dogs and a tasting. For half board, dinner at Lock 34, an authentic lock house converted into a welcoming gourmet "guinguette" for canal side dining, at guests' expense. Full board guests will dine on board.
Tuesday - Lock 34 to La Bussière
After breakfast we visit Dijon, the capital of the Dukes of Burgundy. Walk through the covered market, built by Eiffel, accompanied by Magnolia's chef who will help you choose the fresh products that he'll cook for lunch "à la plancha" on the deck's outdoor kitchen. In the afternoon, cruise to La Bussière. For half board, dinner at L'Abbaye de La Bussière at guests' expense. Full board guests will dine on board.
Wednesday - La Bussière to Pont d'Ouche
Morning cruise to Pont d'Ouche with lunch on board. In the afternoon, drive to the historic town of Beaune, the capital of wine production in Burgundy. Tour the world famous Hospice du Beaune built in 1443. Free time to browse the town and shop. You are welcomed at the home of Magalis' parents for a "home hosted" dinner in typical Burgundy style
Thursday - Pont d'Ouche to Escommes
The morning is spent cruising to Escommes. Plenty of time to walk or bike the towpath along the way. Or spend the time relaxing on deck and taking in the beautiful scenery. After mooring in Escommes, half board guests will have lunch in Chateauneuf-en-Auxoix or “Chez Lucotte”, a traditional French restaurant in Villeneuve-en-Auxois, at guests’ expense. Full board guests will lunch on board. Afterwards, a visit to Chateauneuf-en-Auxois, a 12th century castle and medieval village with winding cobblestone streets and stunning views of the countryside. Farewell dinner on board.
Friday - Transfer to Dijon
After breakfast, guests disembark and transfer to Dijon train station by 10AM.
This is a sample itinerary and is subject to change. The itinerary is in reverse direction on alternate weeks.
Barge Cruise Reviews for Magnolia
Be the first to cruise on this beautiful, comfortable barge owned and operated by French captain and tour guide, Nicolas and Magali Rancelot.