SARAPHINA, a 4-passenger charming class barge, cruises on the Canal du Midi in the South of France
SARAPHINA Cruise Stops
Captain Finnegan and Emily, owners of Saraphina, bring their extensive experience in hospitality and piloting from their many years on luxury barges to make your week cruising on Saraphina a fun and casual holiday. Saraphina is a Dutch barge built in 1924 and converted in 2007 to a warm and welcoming vessel with a mixture of traditional charm in the captain's cabin and wheelhouse to a contemporary, bright and whimsical interior delighting the artistic spirit in their guests. They have carefully and creatively designed the barge to ensure their guests enjoy a relaxed and comfortable stay. The open kitchen where Finnegan and Emily prepare meals makes the flavor of the barge like friends welcoming friends to their home for an adventurous vacation.
- Cruise on the Canal du Midi, a Unesco World Heritage Site
- Ride the majestic seven continuous locks at Fonserannes near Beziers
- Visit the arts, crafts and antiqueshops along the historic streets of renaissance Pezenas
- Enjoy the beautiful Cistercian abbey of Fontfroide
- Stroll through the hilltop city of Minerve, a Cathar fortress
- Walk the streets of Narbonne to visit historical sites a a colorful market
- Enjoy the wines of Languedoc, the largest wine region in France bordered on the South by the Pyrenees Mountains and the Cevennes Mountains in the north
- Wander around the beautiful fortified medieval fortress, Le Cité, on the hill above Carcassonne
Owner Operated: Yes - Finnegan and Emily with their well behaved dog, Lula, who may be boarded on shore if guests prefer
Number of Passengers: 4
Category: Charming Class
Cabin Bookings: No
Charter Bookings: Yes
Cruising Region: Canal du Midi, South of France
Length of Cruise: 6 nights - Sunday to Saturday
Cruising Season: April - October
Meeting Location: 4:00 pm in Narbonne at the train station, hotel or other agreed upon location
Cruise Rates 2022 and 2023 - Charter Only
Sunday to Saturday - 6 night charter
Included in Cruise Price
- Round trip transfer between local meeting location and the barge
- Accommodation for 4 passengers for 6 nights in 1 queen bed cabin and 1 queen or twin bedded cabin, both with ensuite bathrooms
- All meals on board and ashore including wines served with lunches and dinners
- Excursions in the private, spacious air conditioned vehicle including admittance fees
- Use of 4 bicycles
- Champagne welcome aboard
- Open bar, coffee and tea anytime
Not Included in Cruise Price
- Air or other transportation to the meeting location
- Trip cancellation or medical insurance (available when booking)
- Personal expenses
- A discretionary gratuity for the crew (suggested 5-10% of the cruise price)
Cruising on SARAPHINA
Canal du Midi
Portiragnes Plage to Homps (or reverse)
Sunday - Transfer to Barge near Portiragnes
We pick you up from your hotel, train station, or local airport and bring you safely aboard Saraphina. After a short cruise through the "mini Camargue" and a Champagne welcome, your first dinner will be served aboard. Our beautiful mooring in the countryside is close to the village of Portiragnes.
Monday - Portiragnes to Beziers
After breakfast, you will be taken to the historic streets of renaissance Pezenas, with its arts, crafts and antique shops. After a typical bistro lunch in Béziers, we cruise over the aquaduct and up the majestic flight of locks at Fonserannes. This evenings mooring is near the town of Béziers.
Tuesday - Beziers to Capestang
The morning visit brings you to the cistercien abbey of Fontfroide. After lunch at a quaint restaurant with a stunning view of the "Pond of Montady", we cruise along the windiest part of the canal to our mooring in Capestang, a small village with a charming square where you can enjoy an aperitif with a view on the enormous 12th century collegian church .
Wednesday - Capestang to Le Somail
Our tour guide takes you to Narbonne, known for the archbishops palace, the gothic cathedral, shopping, and the famous covered foodmarket, where you will choose a selection of sea food or charcuterie to enjoy back onboard. We then cruise to another stunning mooring next to the sleepy village of Le Somail. Take the opportunity to visit the world famous antique book shop and the ateliers.
Thursday - Le Somail to Roubia
Today, we visit brings the medieval Cathar village of Minerve and the Oulibo olive oil factory. After an enjoyable lunch ashore, we return to the barge for an afternoon cruise to Roubia. If desired, a wine tasting before dinner can be arranged.
Friday - Roubia to Homps
The medieval city of Carcassonne is a highlight of the week. After a guided tour around Europe’s largest medieval fortified town, and lunch, we set off for the final cruise to the village of Homps and our farewell dinner aboard.
Saturday - Transfer to Drop-Off Point
After breakfast, you will be transferred to the train station, hotel or local airport for your onward journey.
This is a sample itinerary and is subject to change. The itinerary is in reverse direction on alternate weeks.
Barge Cruise Reviews for Saraphina
Emily and Finnegan are ready to welcome you on their whimsically decorated and invitingly creative barge.